CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Interpreter of Maladies

I find this story very interesting in regards to the American culture. I feel that the author really makes a point to show how this family with an Indian ethnicity has been absorbed into not traditional Indian ways. I'd like to go through several of these examples:
First, Mr. Das with his tour book and camera. This sounds like any typical American tourist. Yet, what makes it ironic, is that it is his own country. I feel he is more absorbed in his own tour book rather than just listening to Mr. Kapasi share the history, especially when they visit the sun temple.
Second, Mrs. Das is fascinated with looking her best. She paints her nails, shows her calfs, and wears big sunglasses. This I believe to be typical of most American women, yet most likely not something seen in India.
Next, I find the whole affair Mrs. Das had with her husband very American. This can be directly compared to Mr. Kapasi who is also miserable in his marriage, but stays true to his wife. Although, I think his thoughts toward Mrs. Das may have suggested more "American" actions.
Finally, I take the whole event of Mrs. Das misinterpreting Mr. Kapasi's job and spilling her deepest secret as stereotypical of Americans. It is almost as if the author is saying that Americans do not understand the issues pertaining to anything beyond their own little world.
Overall, I find the story satirizing American culture, and how it has the ability to take over families.

0 comments: