CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Interpreter of Maladies (Foreshadow)

I feel there are certain things that foreshadow the ending of the story. Because of the two things I noticed, I believe that there are more hints within the story that I have yet to pick up on. However, first, on page 151 Mr. Kapasi "noted that the boy was slightly paler than the other children..." This, obviously foreshadows the affair that will eventually be brought to the surface by Mrs. Das. However, there is no suggestions to how or when it will be brought up. As a side note, I find it fitting that Mr. Kapasi notices this flaw in the family since he is an "interpreter". However, I find it weird that Mr. Das never questioned his sons skin coloring, or that Mrs. Das fails to mention if he ever did, and what her reasoning was for it.
Another item I noticed, and maybe it could be more of a symbol than foreshadowing, but the occurrence of the monkeys. It seems appropriate that the ending scene of the story involves a chaotic "rendezvous" with the monkeys. I feel it once again somehow parallels the whole idea of Americans not being in touch with the outside world. I mean Mr. Kapasi did warn that the monkeys were only harmless if fed. Yet, it's Mrs. Das who continues up the trail eating her puffed rice and putting herself and children in danger.
Oh silly Americans.

0 comments: