CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Foreshadow

“If for one instant I had thought what might be the hellish intention of my fiendish adversary, I would rather have banished myself forever from my native country and wandered a friendless outcast over the earth than have consented to this miserable marriage”(pg 182).

Although I have read the novel, when I first read this sentence I tagged the page, as I thought of it as foreshadow. From the frame story, I understood that Victor would eventually end up in the arctic, a very cold and deserted place, and I assumed he would be chasing the monster. Although he did consent to the marriage, he did eventually banish himself from his country. This self-alienation led to a devotion of the rest of his life to killing the monster. On first reading this, I thought Victor was essentially going to become the monster’s companion in order to save the ones he loved. With the information we already knew, I guessed the Arctic would be a desolate place free from human exposure. However, I was wrong as Victor tries to live his normal life. It is a result of trying to live his normal life, getting married, and refusing the monster’s request that leads to his doom. Or ultimately, it was the creation of life itself, that led to the end.

0 comments: