CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Barbie Doll

This was one of my favorite poems I read because it's such a prevalent issue in society. I found it interesting that the author was born in 1936 and the Barbie Doll was an unrealistic model probably around the 1950s-1960s too. At first, when I read the poem, I thought the girl had committed suicide. This would have also related to today's society with the many issues of not belonging and bullying. However, when one focuses on the diction, (it always comes back to diction) I noticed words like cut, cosmetics, and a turned-up putty nose. All of these point to another common situation in our society, plastic surgery. The last three lines of the poem are also satrical of society. This girl gave up everything that made her beautiful on the inside for perfection on the outside. She could not stand that soceity saw her imperfections and it wore on her on the inside. The sad truth about this poem is that it is a day to day occurence.

0 comments: