CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Halfway point

"I passed with flying colors" (pg 185).

This quote did not really strike me because of what it truly meant in context, but more of the pace of this novel, especially chapter 13. I have arrived at the halfway point and a lot has truly happened. Basically I've read through nearly a fourth of Amir's life from childhood in Afghanistan to marriage in the United States. What strikes me, as I peek to chapter 14, is the top reads June 2001. The book began in chapter one as December 2001. I'm assuming that eventually the book will arrive back at December 2001. Which inferring means, that the second half of this book is going to be about the next six months. Which is a lot of pages for only six months, but they must be important. Our narrator has been trying to get to this point, it must be the bulk of the book. It now makes since why he flew through the events of engaging his wife, his father's death, enrolling in college, publishing his first novel, and the inability to conceive all in one chapter. Calling this the climax of the novel would be incorrect, but as a hypothesis, I'd like to call it the base of the climax. From now, I believe the structure of chapters will focus more on a short period of time rather than months and years at a time.

0 comments: