CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

That Time of Year

In this poem the speaker is expressing how he is approaching death. This is not a literal death, but rather a death of his youth. To express death he uses am extended metaphor typical of the ending of fall. From the poem, the reader understands that it is about the death of youth from the line; " I am like a glowing ember/ Lying on the dying flame of my youth". Also, although the speaker to talking about his youth expiring, he is warning his friend about this event. This is presented in the repetition of "In me you can see". The speaker is not repeating I, and talking to himself. These phrases help to also create the tone. A tone, that I would consider foreboding. Basically, the end of the poem suggests loving no because it will soon be gone. Which leaves me wondering if the last two sentences deal with itself or still the death of youth?

0 comments: